My tumblr and WordPress are all aflutter with the upcoming annual writing event: NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. You write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November, click the link if you want more information (or to sign up!). However, I will not be joining you.
I did the 3-Day Novel contest so perhaps you’re surprised I wouldn’t do NaNoWriMo. I have my reasons:
- I haven’t touched my 3-Day Novel yet. It’s been sitting there since Labour Day weekend, lonely and scared, and not touched. I’ve had every intention of revising, rewriting, and fluffing it out into something that may resemble a novel. My intentions have not become reality, unfortunately.
- I’m juggling too many writing projects as it is. I have several stories going on right now and none of them are getting done. This is eternally frustrating as it is because I want to submit some work to be published, but I can’t finish them!
- I haven’t submitted/published since the summer. I really miss submitting my work and the anticipation of the letter, hopefully an acceptance but inevitably a rejection. I still miss it. I usually like to submit at least once a month but I’ve been behind on that.
- I don’t have an idea. I have no idea what I would write for NaNoWriMo. I don’t have an idea that I could easily transform or plot out into a novel. I have one idea, but it’s historical fiction like I did for my 3-Day Novel. I had to do so much research for that, and it was WWII which I actually know a lot about. This other one is French Revolution. I’d need to do a lot of reading.
- NaNoWriMo is too long. I could commit to one weekend of intense writing (and as some of you remember, I gave up at least once) but a month is too long. I didn’t meet the “estimated” word count for 3-Day novel but they didn’t care much. NaNoWriMo cares.
So there you are, lovelies: All my reasons for not doing NaNoWriMo.
What do you think? Are you doing NaNoWriMo? Are you abstaining? Let me know in the comments!