Why I’m Not Doing NaNoWriMo

Posted on Updated on

My tumblr and WordPress are all aflutter with the upcoming annual writing event: NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. You write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November, click the link if you want more information (or to sign up!). However, I will not be joining you.

I did the 3-Day Novel contest so perhaps you’re surprised I wouldn’t do NaNoWriMo. I have my reasons:

1. I haven’t touched my 3-Day Novel yet. It’s been sitting there since Labour Day weekend, lonely and scared, and not touched. I’ve had every intention of revising, rewriting, and fluffing it out into something that may resemble a novel. My intentions have not become reality, unfortunately.
  2. I’m juggling too many writing projects as it is. I have several stories going on right now and none of them are getting done. This is eternally frustrating as it is because I want to submit some work to be published, but I can’t finish them!
  3. I haven’t submitted/published since the summer. I really miss submitting my work and the anticipation of the letter, hopefully an acceptance but inevitably a rejection. I still miss it. I usually like to submit at least once a month but I’ve been behind on that.
  4. I don’t have an idea. I have no idea what I would write for NaNoWriMo. I don’t have an idea that I could easily transform or plot out into a novel. I have one idea, but it’s historical fiction like I did for my 3-Day Novel. I had to do so much research for that, and it was WWII which I actually know a lot about. This other one is French Revolution. I’d need to do a lot of reading.
  5. NaNoWriMo is too long. I could commit to one weekend of intense writing (and as some of you remember, I gave up at least once) but a month is too long. I didn’t meet the “estimated” word count for 3-Day novel but they didn’t care much. NaNoWriMo cares.

So there you are, lovelies: All my reasons for not doing NaNoWriMo.

What do you think? Are you doing NaNoWriMo? Are you abstaining? Let me know in the comments!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Why I’m Not Doing NaNoWriMo

The Hyperteller said:
    October 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’m doing NaNoWriMo, but then again I’m in a completely different boat to you. You have some very solid reasons for not doing it (and hey, even if you didn’t and just don’t want to, that’s your choice!) – with me it’s exactly the opposite.

I’ve just finished my current fiction project, so while I have few script-related things to be getting on with, I’ve got nothing fiction-wise to be focussing on. Secondly, I have what I believe is a very strong idea, one that I’m itching to get started on. Also, I currently have one novel doing the rounds of agents, building me a nice pile of rejections (well, it’s only 5 so far, but I’m sure it will continue to grow). Rather than just sitting around waiting for that to get published, I can be working on a completely different project, and then in a few months, I can have two novels doing the rounds. That’s got to increase my chances, surely? And then, I’ll start project three, and slowly the odds will have to end up in my favour as I’ll be sending so much stuff out.

Good luck with your writing in generally. NaNoWriMo or not, I hope you have a productive November!

Averill Elisa Frankes responded:
      October 24, 2012 at 11:01 am

First off, congratulations on having a novel out there! Despite the rejections, I hope you will find a home for it. Good for you for doing NaNoWriMo. I think it’s a great time to get a novel idea going. I hope you can do well with yours. I’ve been concentrating on short fiction the last year but only sent out one to get published (which did!). But I’d love to write a novel. Good luck to you as well! I hope NaNoWriMo is a success. Thanks for commenting!

Karen Lohof said:
    October 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Well, this is pretty dang cool! So this is not from a do not reply? Way cool! This is the first notification I’ve received from you. You are so amazing and this was a great way to tantalize your followers into saying so! Ideas are already swirling so forgive me please mentioning a few:

Being a fellow bipolar I’ve had to learn a few tips to help me be in the work zone, idea zone, zone of commitment, et al, so I have some personal processes I’ve developed with that intent, like; appreciation or thank you writes for a few minutes, I AM writes as in I AM happy I feel, etc. and visualization stuff along the lines of “I love this dream home I’ve created and living in it — especially working in the breakfast room with windows in its ceiling.

If you’re waffling and just really would like to get excited about an idea that would not require so much research I would thrill to be able to read a novel follow up to Palindrome, even sprinkled with pages (maybe the first page of a chapter every two or three) of additional poems, or other love tales based on your writing exercises. And what about the family with the thirteen year old son/brother lost to his sister and mother and the reverberating effects on them a decade or two or more down the road? Can you tell I love your writing?

One last tease: I read somewhere that for the last 40 + years, Stephen King has written 2000 words a day before all else (he’s organized his household and the people in his life around his doing that). Do that just in November and you have five days to, well, waffle — if you want.

Accept or reject. I appreciate you and your efforts and the great example you are to me. Thank you! anacarin

Averill Elisa Frankes responded:
      October 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Well, I’m glad you enjoy how my website works! I have committed to updating every Wednesday, so expect one a week at least. 🙂 Thank you for all the lovely compliments and ideas. I never thought of making Palindrome into a story/book. I’ve often been asked to write about this love story, my little love story, but I don’t think I could do it justice. Though I do draw from it often. Thanks for commenting!

fantasywritermom said:
    November 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I won’t be doing NanoWriMo this year, either. I’m trying to balance writing with motherhood and all the jazz that is associated. My family is very patient with me writing instead of working a job, but I’m not sure they would like the mom I would become if I made myself produce 50,000 words in 30 days!

Averill Elisa Frankes responded:
      November 16, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Motherhood is a full time job! You’re very lucky to have an understanding family. That’s one of the downsides of living alone: I have to write in the evenings after work! 🙂 Thanks for visiting.

What did you think?

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s